We have a new change that we plan on releasing in 14th July 2020. Please find the details below:
What changes for a user?
- You cannot add new API keys beyond 5 keys per user.
- Existing keys will continue to work as is, even if you have more than 5 keys attached to your user.
- If a user has 10 keys, the keys will continue to work without any glitch
- But 'if you delete a key, expecting to add a replacement', or 'delete a key accidentally and want to add it back', system will not allow you to do so till you reduce the total count of keys you own below 5.
To check your current API keys, Go to Account Settings > API keys
Why is this restriction being put?
- API Rate limits are devised to prevent issues due to high call volumes originating from one organisation or user.
Fact that you need to be aware of, so as to understand why this change is being implemented:
- Podio's intention is not to try limiting volume of calls from one API key.
- Intention here is to try limiting volume of calls from one user or organisation, so as to ensure the high usage volume in a non-optimised manner from one user / organisation does not end up impacting the stability and performance for other users / organisations.
Benefits to Users:
- Keeping API keys limited to 5 per user, in turn, encourages organisations to distribute their API keys across users
- This ensures that throttling a user due to misuse of a few API keys should not affect other users' operations depending on keys owned by the throttled user.
- API Key limit to be released for all Users on 14th July 2020
P.S: I would reiterate that his is not going to impact any of the current API integrations and should just be considered for newer integrations and newer keys being created.
If you have questions or concerns about this upcoming change, please reach out to our team here.
/Pallabi - Product Manager
Please sign in to leave a comment.